Life has you flowing in a good groove and BOOM, something happens in a way that sends you down a nasty rabbit hole that dials up lots of limiting beliefs. One minute you are on top of the world feeling like you can conquer anything, the next you are lower than low with feelings of unworthiness and defeat.
We’ve all been there and where it feels like the end of the world, it doesn’t have to. The key is to be aware and have tools in your toolbox! One tool that I have found to be very effective is a yoga practice. With that, I want to share with you 5 yoga tips to help you move through limiting beliefs and keep you out of that debilitating rabbit hole!
- Get your yoga mat out. Your yoga mat is your friend! There are times when all I have to do is step onto my mat and suddenly there is a rush over me that quiets my mind and spirit and brings me back into myself. It is there that I can hear my spirit speak.
- Set the mood. Sometimes my thoughts are so out of control that I need more than my yoga mat. I need the right sounds whether it’s Zen music or the sounds of nature. And, I also need the right scent in the air, which is when I pull out my essential oils to de-fuse. I typically will blend a few of my favorites with lavender always being in the mix!
- Set an intention. Set your intention to be open, honest, and real with yourself. The only way to work through limiting beliefs and to heal in body, mind, and spirit is to be raw and real. Otherwise, it’s nothing but a band-aid and whatever the issue is will, indeed, come back around.
- Spend time meditating. There are times when I need to meditate before yoga and there are times it has to wait until after. You will know. Regardless, set your timer for no more than 15 minutes, sit comfortably, close your eyes, and focus on your breath. As the limiting beliefs and thoughts surface, simply acknowledge, release, and then refocus on your breath. By the end of the 15 minutes you will be in a better place often with revelation and the release of pent-up emotions.
- Practice your flow. Move only how your body wants to move. Don’t force anything, simply be fluid. This could lead you into a simple flow or something complicated, and sometimes nothing but Corpse Pose. There are times when I need it to be basic, there are times when I need to dig deep with something complicated.
Following these yoga tips to help you move through limiting beliefs can absolutely assist you in the healing process and keep you from plummeting down the rabbit hole. The beautiful thing is that these yoga tips can lead you deeper into your personal truth and place you in a better groove than you were before the limiting beliefs showed up. That’s pretty amazing!
“Yoga is a journey of the self, through the self, to the self.”
~The Bhagavad Gita
Latest posts by Shileen Nixon (see all)
- 5 Yoga Tips to Help You Move Through Limiting Beliefs - May 1, 2017