Last Updated on by
Getting in a couple of deep ‘
Helps Achieve Better Mental Health
A number of mental health issues like depression, stress and anxiety are linked to poor sleep quality and other sleeping problems like insomnia or obstructive sleep apnea. Here are three ways good sleeping habits will improve your mental health.
– Increases Memory
When you sleep, the brain turns the day’s events into long-term memory. This technique is known as consolidation and it helps in retaining memory over a long period of time. Everything you learn during the day will be retained properly only when you sleep well.
– Improves Productivity
Sleep is essential for various aspects of brain functions like productivity, cognition, performance, and concentration. Good sleep improves problem-solving skills and enhances performance in adults and children alike.
– Reduces Stress
When the body doesn’t get enough sleep, it may react by producing an increased level of stress hormones. Regular and deep sleep help in reducing stress significantly.
Promotes Better Physical Health
Poor sleep quality doesn’t just affect mental health but also physical health. Insufficient sleep can lead to serious health problems.
– Lowers the Risk of Various Diseases
Those sleeping less than six hours per night are reportedly at an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Regular sleep pattern helps in lowering the stress levels and inflammation to your cardiovascular system, which in turn can reduce the chances of a stroke or heart condition. Lastly, a good night’s sleep reduces the risk of developing colon and breast cancer.
– Fewer Blood-Pressure Related Problems
High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes, however, getting plenty of good quality sleep encourages a constant state of relaxation that can help reduce blood pressure and generally keep it under control.
– Helps in Achieving Healthy Body Weight
Sleep helps in regulating the leptin hormone which is responsible for affecting your appetite. If you are tired and sleep-deprived, you will just be hungrier and crave high-fat and high-calorie foods specifically.
Acts as Natural Painkiller
Sleep acts as a natural painkiller — giving you a good reason to improve sleep quality.
– Reduces Inflammation
Increased stress hormones that are caused by a lack of sleep will raise the inflammation level in your body. This would increase the risk of heart-related conditions, as well as cancer and diabetes. Sleep helps in reducing inflammation, which tends to increase as we age.
– Better Relief for Chronic Pain
If you suffer from chronic pain, getting enough sleep may help you significantly. Numerous studies have shown a link between sleep loss and a lower pain threshold. Researchers say that getting good sleep can supplement medication for pain.
– Faster Recovery
Sleep helps in the recovery process if you had any recent injury. While you sleep, the body heals the injured muscles and tissues faster and help you recover quicker as compared to the times you don’t get enough sleep.
Tips to Sleep Well
You have seen numerous benefits of sleeping properly, but how do ensure you sleep well? Here are tips for good sleep.
- Stick to a sleep schedule where you sleep and wake up at the same time every day — including the weekends. This helps in regulating the body clock and ensuring that you fall asleep at the same time every day and stay asleep through the night.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and caffeine, especially after the afternoon, as they stimulate the nervous system which will prevent the body from relaxing at night.
- Upgrade your bedding by incorporating copper bed sheets and pillows. They help in promoting the renewal of blood vessels and the synthesis of elastin and collagen, thus boosting skin health. Moreover, copper-infused bedsheets are also anti-microbial and kill infection-causing bacteria on contact.
- Practicing a relaxing bedtime ritual before hitting the bed like taking a warm shower, turning down the lights, minimizing external noise, light, and artificial lights and limiting technology before bed will ensure your bedroom is a quiet and relaxing place. This will help in falling asleep quicker.
Having a clean bedroom and the right kind of environment before you get comfortable in bed will go a long way. Ensure you get enough sleep every night so that you can enjoy better health.
Griffin, Morgan R. “9 Surprising Reasons to Get More Sleep”. WebMD, 27 December 2011.
Leech, Joe. “10 Reasons Why Good Sleep Is Important”. Healthline, 29 June 2018.
Stibich, Mark. “10 Benefits of a Good Night’s Sleep”. Verywellhealth, 25 February 2018.
“Healthy Sleep Tips”. National Sleep Foundation, n.d.
Mawer, Rudy. “17 Proven Tips to Sleep Better at Night” Healthline, 10 June 2016.
Latest posts by Kunal Patel (see all)
- 3 Important Reasons Why Sleep Helps to Improve Holistic Health - August 24, 2018